Dec. 21, 1891 Sinai Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized with 23 charter
members. It was sponsored by the Augustana Synod. The first pastor,
J. Ekholm, was also pastor at Bethlehem, Wahoo.
1894 - 1920 Sinai & Elim Lutheran Church in rural Swaberg were served by the same
1896 The original church building at First & Platte streets was dedicated. In
1905 the Fremont congregation built a parsonage and the pastor resided in
1925-1940 The switch from the original Swedish language to English was complete in
1925. Sinai became self-supportin in the 1940's and experienced a rapid
period of growth.
1950 Six and one-half lots and one house at the corner of 8th & Pebble streets
were purchased in June at a cost of $11,600 for the purpose of building a
new church. The old building was sold.
March 4, 1951 Groundbreaking services for the new church were held and the cornerstone
laying rites were held on July 15. The congregation held services in the
Midland College chapel until it occupied the basement of its new facility on
Thanksgiving Day, 1951.
Aprl 20, 1952 Dedication services were held at the new church at 8th & Pebble. Sinai's
annual Swedish smorgasbord was, for many years, a way to share the
congregation's Swedish heritage with the community.
1980's Under the leadership of Pastor Conrad Schmitz, plans began to be developed
for Sunday School rooms, office space and conference rooms, the above
having been held in the parsonage and basement of the church for a number
of years. The parsonage was sold and moved to allow more parking space.
Sept. 10, 1989 Dedication services were held for the new addition that included a larger
narthex and installation of an elevator.
1990's Under Pastor Paul Hoffman's leadership, the Sinai congregation and its
members were instrumental in the establishment of several community
service organizations, including Fremont Area Habitat for Humanity, Dodge
County Low Income Ministry and the Care Corps Shelter. During Pastor
Hoffman's years at Sinai, the congregation hosted several interns from the
Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg. The vicar program helped
seminarians experience life and leadership in the parish during their
1999 Sinai's staff grew as a Family Life team was established under the leadership
of Diane Harpster. Pastor James Melang began a shared position as Midland
Lutheran College campus pastor and associate pastor at Sinai. Youth began
their yearly summer service trips, led by Pastor Michael Ostrom. Lu Ann
Ehmcke was hired as Youth Director. She and Diane Harpster continued
leading this service-learning youth ministry through the following decade.
2000 Sinai's sanctuary was renovated, enhancing the aesthetics, accessibility and
acoustics of the worship space. Sinai members continue to gather at God's
table to be fed and nourished and sent out in service to our community and
2016 Sinai celebrated 125 years with many activities throughout the year to include
a renovation of space and sound with a new Juget-Sinclair pipe organ. A series
of organ dedication concerts were a part of that celebration.